Partners4EDU seeks VP for Development & ProjectsFebruary 23, 2017
Partners 4 Affordable Excellence @EDU
Job Description — Vice President for Development & Projects
Partners 4 Affordable Excellence @EDU was founded in 2014 to catalyze and accelerate change at America’s public colleges and universities in ways that enhance academic excellence and result in affordable tuition. We serve as a non-partisan, constructive voice dedicated to working with parents, students, employers and policy leaders who support affordable excellence. By nurturing a variety of strategic investments, sponsoring groundbreaking research, advocating innovative policy, and piloting new tools and structures to support visionary leadership, we seek to transform American higher education. To achieve our goal, Partners focuses on four “levers” of change: strengthening institutional governance, enhancing productivity, measuring outcomes, and lowering costs.
Partners 4 Affordable Excellence @EDU, a 501-c-3 foundation, is seeking a Vice President for Development and Projects to establish and implement a comprehensive fundraising program that will secure financial support from individuals, corporations, and private foundations to support the mission of Partners as well as to carry out selected administrative tasks for the Foundation.
The successful candidate must enthusiastically share the core values of Partners and be motivated by its mission—to ensure equitable, affordable access to excellent education at public colleges and universities.
The Vice President will report to the President, but liaison very closely with the Chair of the Partners Board of Trustees.
The Vice President will devote about two-thirds of his/her time to the following responsibilities:
- devise and implement a three-year strategic plan for development that will increase fundraising through annual giving, a grassroots membership program, and individual, corporate, and private foundation support
- Identify prospective individual, corporate and foundation funding sources for Partners
- Provide staff support to the president and the board of directors connected to their fundraising activities
- Identify prospective board candidates
- Assist the president in planning, organizing, and executing all fundraising events
- Write both draft and final fundraising proposals
- Manage the organization’s database of members, donors, and prospects, and handle all development-related correspondence
The Vice President will devote about one-third of his/her time to the following responsibilities:
- Help plan Partners board meetings and its tele-meetings.
- Work on specific projects as assigned by the President and the Chair of the Board, including the development of its Board Governance Tool
- Research topics of interest for the President, the Chair and the Board
- Manage public relations and communications contractors, including the Internet presence of Partners
- Monitor the media for stories relevant to Partners and distribute and/or post those stories
The ideal candidate will have:
- a minimum of five to seven years of nonprofit fundraising experience
- A solid track record of fundraising with individuals, corporations, and private foundations
- Background in planning, budgeting, finance, and development-related information systems
- The ability to use social media and personalized Internet communication systems
- The ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Previous experience working with nonprofit boards
- Strong leadership skills, especially experience in managing a staff
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Passion for the Partners mission
- Some background in higher education issues
- Knowledge of tax laws and regulations that pertain to nonprofit fundraising
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- The ability to travel on occasion, especially to the Hampton Roads, VA, metro area
- Familiarity with the Washington DC metropolitan region and funding sources
Partners is prepared to offer a competitive compensation package, including salary as well as benefits, based on candidate’s experience and qualifications.
The holder of the position must a resident of a mid-Atlantic state and/or Washington DC and have easy access to an airport.
Partners 4 Affordable Excellence @EDU is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.